Sunday, January 8, 2012

New Jersey Terminals 2

 

I've spent a lot of time on the maps. The only ones I'd call done at this point are 2012, 1975, and 1965. They are now up at a work in progress site, http://www.columbia.edu/~brennan/njterminals/. The page needs some written commentary that I will do later.



Here's a preview of 1955:


For the first time (going back) we have the terminals of the Erie Railroad and the Pennsylvania Railroad.

It's hard to see here, but for the Erie I show the 4-track Bergen Archways open cut line and the older 2-track tunnel just to the north. I think passenger trains used the archways, but if they used the tunnel at all, I wanted to show it.

The Pennsylvania and the Hudson and Manhattan presented an interesting graphic problem. From the portal to west of Journal Square, the H&M used the center pair of tracks and the Pennsylvania passenger trains used the outer tracks. They merged west of Journal Square and used the same Pennsylvania Railroad tracks almost to Harrison station. To show this I have used two thin red lines around the H&M blue line. You could argue that it's all Pennsylvania trackage, but I used blue where the H&M had exclusive use. Journal Square station was H&M only.

Last minute change: I now use the same graphic in 1965, 1975, 2012 to show the stretch near Harrison where PATH is the outer track around the mainlines.

East of the portal the Pennsylvania ran directly over the H&M. I decided to offset the two just enough for you to see the H&M continuing east in tunnel. As the Pennsylvania grows wider nearer the terminal, it covers the H&M. It works for me.



And here is 1945:


Since I showed light rail on the 2012 map, I felt I should be consistent and show it on the older maps too. So there is the Hoboken Elevated. And in very thin purple lines, there are the street railways that ran through from the elevated. There wasn't enough room to name all the elevated stations, but the stops shown are at the correct positions (the pair of one-side stations in Hoboken at Washington St and Bloomfield St are shown as one circle).

The other addition (that you can see here) is the short-lived Lehigh Valley commuter service to the LV's own Jersey City terminal. The terminal, as far as I can tell, consisted of one track alongside Johnston Avenue across the street from the CNJ terminal. Passengers used the CNJ ferry. The 1945 timetable shows one train each way via this route, so I used a thin line.



.

1 comment:

  1. VERY impressive maps. Have you considered doing the terminals on the east side of the East River when you finish the west-of-Hudson ones?

    ReplyDelete